November 28, 2007

AWC Christmas At Chatsworth


AWC organised a trip to Chatsworth, home to the 12th Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. The home and grounds were spectacular, even on this somewhat bleak day.

The highlight of visiting Chatsworth House at this time is that it is decorated for Christmas. It is one of the warmest feeling stately homes I have ever visited.

My visit was proceding normally - beautiful chapel with nativity scene.

Gorgeous dining room table set for the holidays with spectacular ceiling.

But a surprise! Decorating ancient Roman statues like this is the kind of prank for which I would have gotten into big trouble (But I swear, this was NOT my doing).

After visiting the home, I took a stroll around the beautiful grounds to admire the statues, out-buildings, fountain, cemetary, and countryside. After tea and scones, it was time for our 3 hour bus / train / tube trip home.

No comments: