November 01, 2007

Tate Britain Millais and Hockney on Turner


One of the great things about living in London is being able to easily visit fabulous special exhibits in great museums. Lucrecia and I spent hours enjoying the Tate Britain special (John Everett) Millais exhibition. Some of my favorite paintings had fabulous fabrics. From the Tate website I chose the painting "Mariana" to remind me of amazing blue fabric of the dress - I marvelled at it for quite some time.

After such an exhibit, I always like to do some internet research, especially with Wikipedia. Sometimes, big exhibits have to be careful about what they write and we can find more interesting information from other sources such as wikipedia (which IS a work in progress, so be forewarned).

As one of the founders of the pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, Millais was a protégé of John Ruskin. But they fell out when Ruskin's wife Effie had their marriage annulled (six years of unconsummated marriage) and married Millais. John Ruskin found Effie too "repulsive" but she was apparently satisfactory enough to Millais, as they went on to have 8 children. Helen Barolini's essay "Effie In Venice and the Roman Spring of Margaret Fuller" provided even more insights into Effie during her marriage to Ruskin. But, I digress.


I am a watercolours enthusiast and truly enjoyed the Hockney on (JMW) Turner exhibit. I could have spent much more time at this exhibit but Lucrecia, who finds Turner too "abstract" for her tastes was getting impatient.

As for the Turner Prize exhibit - we just don't "get it".

No comments: