August 01, 2006

Day 5 - Edo by Public Transportation

I did not take my camera on this trip because it was a "public transportation" tour and I did not want to take any valuables. Because this tour was advertised as a "walking" tour, there was only one other participant - and she was almost 80 years old! We thought the tour was excellent, and we appreciated this approach to learning about the Tokyo public transportation system

We met at the Hamamatsucho Bus Station and were taken through a series of underground tunnels to buy a TOEI One-Day economy pass. We learned that there are different operators on different lines. Our first stop was way up to an observation tower in an "advertising building". After enjoying a beautiful view of the city, we were taken through the family garden of the Tokugawa Shogun.

We were dropped off at the famous Tsukiji fish market. The tour guide brought me to a "conveyor belt" sushi restaurant. I picked up what I wanted and really enjoyed the meal. The restaurant calculated my bill by looking at my empty plates - each design represented a different price. I got a lot of food for what I paid (at least by Japanese standards).

The tour guide picked us up after lunch and took us by public transportation to the Edo-Tokyo museum. She gave us a comprehensive tour. At the end of the day, our guide gave me public transportation directions using the TOEI line as much as possible for Tokyu Hands (impressive store but I could not afford anything) and to the hotel.

No comments: